This page is designed for students applying to PharmD schools after graduation. For information on UW School of Pharmacy’s prerequisites, please visit their website. The following is a general guide for courses you may need to apply to pharmacy school. Requirements vary from school to school. So, it is always necessary to consult the websites of pharmacy schools where you know/think you want to apply. You can begin by consulting AACP’s list of Pharmacy School Prerequisites. For a pre-pharmacy course planning guide, click here. Also consider using our four-year planner to map out your coursework and extracurricular activities.
Most pharmacy schools require at least one semester of calculus. This requirement can be met by taking:
- Math 211 OR Math 221 OR Math 171-217
Most programs also require at least one semester of statistics. This course can be taken in your major department.
General Chemistry Choose one of the following sequences:
- Chemistry 103-104
- Chemistry 109
- Chem 343: Introductory Organic Chemistry
- Chem 345: Intermediate Organic Chemistry
- Chem 344: Organic Chemistry Lab
Choose one of these two sequences:
- Zoology 101-102 + Additional bio-science course (Options include: Genetics, Microbiology, Cell Biology, Immunology)
- Biology 151-152
- Biocore: students must apply to enroll in Biocore. For more information, visit their website.
- Biocore 381-382 Evolution, Ecology and Genetics lecture/lab
- Biocore 383-384 Cellular Biology lecture/lab
- Biocore 485-486 Organismal Biology lecture/lab
- Biocore 587 Biological Interactions
Choose one of the following sequences:
- Physics 103-104 (algebra-based)
- Physics 201-202 (calculus-based; recommended for Engineering majors)
- Physics 207-208 (calculus-based; recommended for Life Science majors)
Most pharmacy schools require 6 credits of English, Literature, or Public Speaking.
(Not required by all programs):
- Public Speaking
- Social Science